You never know when you might be on the brink of a new scientific discovery. I mean, science happens all the time, even if you’re not looking for it. So you have to keep your mind open to new hypotheses and theories.
The other night I was reheating some Taco Soup. It features beef, corn, hominy, pinto beans, kidney beans, and various seasonings like taco seasoning, Ranch seasoning, and Rotel. (And it’s really scrumptious — much better than any normal soup. You add cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream to it. Mmm…) Anyway, it has two types of beans in it, as I listed. I was reheating a bowl of it that was leftover, and I covered the bowl with wax paper. It was a good thing I covered it, because some of the beans exploded!
So where does science come into this? Well, I’m not a scientist, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. So here’s what happened. Beans don’t normally explode at room temperature, but when they became hot and pressurized, they exploded. And then I realized that must be what happens when we eat them! Our bodies run at a temperature around 98.6 degrees, which is quite warm. And as our digestive system is breaking down the food, there’s a lot of pressure inside. So while your body processes the beans, they overheat and over-pressurize, which causes them to explode inside you. And that explosion has to find an outlet, or there will be much discomfort in your stomach. As you guessed, the outlet is your butt.
I never learned that in school, but it makes sense. Perhaps the teachers were trying to be politically correct and not talk about gas and farting. Some people get offended about such things, for some reason. But I have no reason to hold back here, so I present my unvarnished scientific hypothesis.
Now you know…
Maybe next time I’ll figure out why beans are good for your heart… 🙂