As we’ve done in previous months, we’re going to look at the special days and holidays of this month. As usual, this is not a complete list — those can be found elsewhere. But I guarantee you will not find another list like this one. This is not a mere list, because we add our own unique commentary and analysis. In other words, we try to make it more fun. And you are welcome to add to the discussion in the comments section.
Let’s get started with the month-long celebrations and observances in September:
- Classical Music Month — I know, some people equate classical music with elevator music or new age music or Yanni, and that’s not accurate at all. Some of it jams. I’ve heard someone say, “People who don’t like classical music just don’t listen to it loud enough.” There might be some truth to that. Also, don’t forget that a lot of your action movies have classical music in them. Take notice next time…
- International Square Dancing Month — I’m not much into square dancing, but if it’s your thing, more power to ya. But I do have one bit of advice which I heard on Lester “Roadhog” Moran’s album Live at the Johnny Mack Brown High School: if you change partners, be sure to change back! Failure to revert to your original partner can cause some “disagreements”, as evidenced on Roadhog’s album. AWW-RIGHT!
- National Courtesy Month — Courtesy can be applied to many areas, so this is a good idea. If there’s only one piece of fried chicken left, it’s good courtesy to offer it to me. Or if you’re in a multi-stall public bathroom, a courtesy flush is much appreciated. I could go on, but you get the idea…
- National Chicken Month — Speaking of fried chicken… There’s a lot of ways to cook chicken that is excellent. Of course, you can’t go wrong with fried chicken. There’s also Mexican Chicken, which is my favorite dish. Mmm…
- National Piano Month — More focus on music — I like it! The piano is my favorite musical instrument. This would be a good month to go hear a live performance, like at a local college or university, or if a professional artist is in the state. Or if you’ve always wanted to play, start taking lessons. (I do offer lessons, but even if you don’t learn from me, it’s a great skill to develop.)
- National Honey Month — Supposedly honey is the only food that never spoils. Whether that’s true or not, I just know that I like honey, especially on some warm rolls… Mmm…
- Self Improvement Month — Here at Buffet o’ Blog, we encourage people to laugh more, which is a form of self-improvement. The world really needs more laughter. If you want more meaty forms of self-improvement, check out my other blog.
- Better Breakfast Month — I’m all for this! Now, some health nuts may argue that this means eating a healthier breakfast, but that’s not the case here. If that’s what the holiday’s creator wanted, he/she should’ve called it Healthier Breakfast Month. But it’s “better”. And the definition of “better” includes “superior to another in desirability”, which for me, would mean more bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy, chocolate milk, etc. There’s no need to even debate this, as far as I’m concerned. 🙂
- National Rice Month — Most of the world eats rice on a regular basis, particularly those in poverty. So please take a few minutes to play the Free Rice game to donate rice to those in need. Remember, it costs you nothing but a few minutes.
- Read-A-New-Book Month — If you don’t like reading, you just haven’t found the right books. Even if you read humor or comic books or scientific books or historical books, there’s got to be something you’d enjoy. Plus, reading is good for you: it stimulates (exercises) your brain, plus you learn things you didn’t know before. And it’s good to learn, so you’ll be less ignorant. 🙂
Now let’s look at the week-long observances in September:
- 2nd Week: International Housekeepers Week — I wish I had a housekeeper, so I didn’t have to ever do dishes and clean the bathrooms…
- 3rd Week: National Farm Animals Awareness Week — Most of us don’t see farm animals very often anymore, at least in live form. So when you’re eating farm animals this week, be thankful and appreciate of how tasty they are.
- 3rd Week: National Flower Week — I know who this is for… 🙂
- 4th Week: National Dog Week — Dogs are much better than flowers, at least to most guys… 🙂 With women, that might be debatable, although it shouldn’t be.
This list is getting considerably long, so I’m going to break it up into several posts. Click here to search for the other posts on the special days of September.