The other day I overheard the “Important Doctor” giving some health advice to someone trying to lose weight. He said if you would eat healthy and responsible (low-fat and low-calorie and small portions) for 80% of your meals, then you could eat whatever you want for the other 20% of your meals and still lose weight.
Let it be noted that his actual words were “whatever you want” concerning 20% of your meals. So if you normally eat 21 meals per week, then 20% would be about 4 meals. That sounds like a plan I could follow. That would mean I could eat at a pizza buffet 4 times per week and still lose weight. Or have one of the meals be an all-you-can-eat donut bonanza. Or I could eat dishes like the bacon explosion. I think I could eat responsibly for the other meals of the week if I could splurge all I wanted on four meals per week.
However, I suspect that once again the (self-proclaimed) “Important Doctor” is blowing hot air. If I were to eat at a pizza buffet four times per week, I guarantee I wouldn’t be losing weight — I’d be gaining it. He’s probably just throwing figures out there to make it sound like he’s done research and knows what he’s talking about. But we’ve had this debate before, that he’s probably non-accredited (if he even is a doctor at all). His infamous bacon and cheese diet sounds great, but I don’t know of any research proving that it works long-term. (I imagine it does make people happy in the short-term, though!)