ultimate destroyer BBQ sandwich
I really enjoy watching Man v. Food on the Travel Channel. Adam Richman is great as a host, and he can eat a mountain of food, but the food itself is even more impressive. One episode I saw was about Kansas City, and I wish I had seen this before I went to KC a while back!
The challenge in this episode was a BBQ sandwich called Papa Bob’s Ultimate Destroyer. It was huge, but also a little unusual. It’s built on a 12″ hoagie bun, and the bottom layer of meat is a half pound of pulled pork, then a half pound of hickory smoked sliced pork. All that is covered in BBQ sauce, then another layer of bread is added. Next is a half pound of hickory-smoked ham and a half pound of hickory smoked turkey breast. Then more sauce and more bread. But wait, there’s more! Next is 3 half pound hickory smoked hamburgers*, topped with sauce and more bread. In case that’s not enough, there’s a half pound of brisket and a half pound of BBQ sausage, with, you guessed it, more sauce and the top of the hoagie bun.
It would be difficult to eat just the sandwich, with all that meat and bread. But the challenge also includes 1 1/2 pounds of fries. I would welcome some fries, because they go well with BBQ’d meat, but that’s a lot of starch in an eating challenge. It’s probably part of the reason why no one has ever defeated the Ultimate Destroyer. All together, the plate of food weighs 6 pounds. If you don’t eat it, it costs $48.
I glanced at the release form, and it explains the sandwich and has the usual legal fine print. I like how the small print starts out: “I AM FULLY AWARE THAT I AM ABOUT TO ATTEMPT TO EAT AN UNHEALTHY AND POSSIBLY DANGEROUS AMOUNT OF BAR-B-QUED MEAT AND SIDE DISHES.” Dangerous indeed…
There are some other funny tidbits in the rules:
– No bathroom breaks; just sit there and eat & eat & eat & eat.
– Must keep all food down at least 5 (five) minutes after your last bite. If you launch it, you gotta clean it!! (floors, tables, chairs, parking lot, employees, customers, etc.)
– A Papa Bob’s Up-Chuck bucket will be provided at your table (just in case).
– Papa Bob’s is not responsible for anything mentally or physically that arises from eating the “Ultimate Destroyer”.
I think I’ll pass on that one. Maybe if they have a smaller version…
* I’ve never heard of a smoked hamburger, but it sounds intriguing. When Adam got to that part, he said it was tasty but a little dry, so he had to add sauce. I’m thinking some cheese and Miracle Whip would help with it. And of course, you might as well add bacon. 🙂 I’ve gotta get me a smoker someday…