Now we will conclude our listing of the special holidays / celebrations / observances in August:
- 20 Daydream Day — Okay, here goes… As soon as I arrive at work, my watch emits a tone on a frequency that only I can hear with my supersonic hearing. I press a button on it, and when it validates my fingerprint, it displays a video of the Important Evil Genius trying to rebuild his secret lair. I sneak out of work, rip my shirt off to reveal my super pajamas, and fly away, to save the day once again, before bedtime. (I could keep going, but you get the idea.)
- 21 Senior Citizen’s Day — If you’re old and you know it clap your hands! [clap, clap] Hey, who turned out the lights?
- 22 Be an Angel Day — Angels are supernatural beings, existing in the spiritual realm. They are able to manifest themselves in a physical body to appear like humans. But we are unable to be angels.
- 23 Ride the Wind Day — That sounds cool! (And if there’s not any wind, I reckon you’ll have to create your own…)
- 23 National Sponge Cake Day — This sounds good, if we add some strawberries and whipped cream.
- 23 Toast Appreciation Day — First, a toast to bread, for without bread, there could be no toast. Now, a message from The Toast Marketing Board: Eat more toast.
- 24 Vesuvius Day — This marks the day in 79 A.D. that Mount Vesuvius exploded in one of the largest volcanic eruptions in history. Several Roman cities were destroyed, including Pompeii. So why is this a holiday?
- 24 National Peach Pie Day — Add some ice cream and this would be a good treat.
- 24 Strange Music Day — There’s a lot of strange music out there, although you won’t hear much of it on the standard “Top 40” radio stations. They’re too busy playing what the record companies want them to play. But listen to an indie station (like public radio or a college station), and you might hear some unusual stuff. You might even like some of it. Go ahead, broaden your mind.
- 25 National Banana Split Day — I fully support this holiday!
- 25 Kiss and Make Up Day — If it’s that simple to make up, perhaps this is the day for getting in trouble… 🙂
- 26 National Dog Day — On this day every year, dogs around the world unite in an attempt to conquer Earth. Fortunately, their plan is always thwarted by fire hydrants.
- 26 Women’s Equality Day — On this day, women should be treated equally. 🙂
- 27 Global Forgiveness Day — Today, let’s forgive Mother Nature. The Earth’s weather patterns are just doing what they’re setup to do; it’s nothing personal against anyone. So don’t hold a grudge.
- 27 Just Because Day — I’m cool, just because. Oh, wait, that’s every day… Um, let’s look at what one website suggests for this day: Take an unplanned day of vacation (that sounds like a great idea!); Knock on someone’s door and compliment them for their great lawn (uhh, no); Skip, don’t walk (no, how about stay in bed all morning); Buy something you don’t need (that sounds good); Jump in a puddle (maybe); Walk backwards (no). That started out well, but then the ideas became less inspired. Anyway, you get the idea. Do something “just because”.
- 28 Dream Day — I had a weird dream the other day. I was at the house of a famous Christian singer, and he was fixing lunch, and the other guys in his band were loading hay bales, and another famous artist (from a completely different musical genre) showed up, then some friends came, and then I woke up. It was a cool dream, but weird.
- 29 More Herbs, Less Salt Day — Uhh, what? Why is this a holiday?
- 29 Blame Everything on The One-Armed Man Day — Okay, this one is definitely obscure. The reference is to a TV show called “The Fugitive”, and the final episode aired August 29, 1967. I’ve heard this phrase used in pop culture before, though. So today, I’m not going to work, and I’m going to blame it on the one-armed man. This is also a good day to do pranks and pass the blame. Just make sure there’s not a one-armed man in the building, or he’s gonna have a really bad day!
- 30 Frankenstein Day — Is this the day that we become mad scientists and create our own monster? I hope so, because I’ve always wanted to do that.
- 30 Toasted Marshmallow Day — They’re good by themselves, or you can make s’mores with them. Speaking of marshmallows, I had a dream about them one time. I was sitting around the campfire, and I was toasting the biggest marshmallow I’d ever seen, then I started eating it. When I woke up, my pillow was gone…
- 30 Organize Something in Your Home Day — This sounds like work, so let’s find a loophole. It just says “something”, which could mean anything, so how about this — I’ll organize my video game collection according to which titles I like best, which means I need to play them all to properly sort them. 🙂
- 31 National Trail Mix Day — This is probably about the snacks, but that’s boring; let’s see, I bet if we think creatively enough we can find some ambiguosity to run with. How about this: on this day, mix up the signs on mountain hiking trails. Then later in the day, at the starting point, leave a sign that says, “Surprise! This is National Trail Mix Day!” Then the hikers will know it was all a joke, and they can laugh about being lost for hours. 🙂
I hope you found something you could celebrate this month. I know I did.
Click here to find the other entries for August.
It’s time to continue our look at the special days / holidays / observances of August:
- 10 Lazy Day — Here’s your excuse to be lazy this day. Put off your chores another day — they’ll still be there tomorrow. Take time to do whatever you want to do. (And here’s an important note: if cleaning is what you actually want to do, it doesn’t mean your spouse wants to. Just thought I’d throw that in there, for no particular reason.)
- 10 National S’mores Day — You don’t need a campfire to make these — a microwave will do. And you don’t need a recipe, either — just mix graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate. You should make a lot of them, to hone your own personal recipe and get it just right. And you should invite me over to help you taste-test them. 🙂
- 11 Presidential Joke Day — This is not a day to make jokes about our President. It’s actually a day for them to make jokes. It started on August 11, 1984, when President Ronald Reagan was about to make a speech. He was testing the microphone, thinking it was off, and said, “My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.” This became quite the joke because he was speaking to a live feed!
- 11 Play in the Sand Day — I wish I was near a beach. There’s some sand pits in various parks nearby, but there are also cats and dogs that roam those areas, and so I’d rather not play in what may be someone’s litterbox.
- 13 International Left-Hander’s Day — On this day, lefties have rights! 🙂 Otherwise, lefties never do anything right. 🙂
- 13 National Filet Mignon Day — Sounds like I need to visit a steakhouse on this day! Since it’s a holiday, this particular cut of steak should be discounted, so more people can afford them and appreciate their yummy goodness. And the filet mignon should be bacon-wrapped. Mmm… mmm… mmm…
- 13 Comic Book Hero Day — Comic books should get more respect. Many of the most popular superheroes featured in movies these days got their start in comics, and their story is still being written. The movie version is just a brief summary of all the detail that is in the original story. And lest you think comics are bought only by 13-year-olds, the U.S. market for comics is between $660 and $700 million. Worldwide, comic books are perhaps the most widely read literary format. That’s not small potatoes… (So don’t be a “hater” or say that they’re just for “little boys”.)
- 14 National Creamsicle Day — This sounds like a good plan, and it’s an appropriate treat considering how crazy-mad hot it typically is in the middle of August.
- 14 Yukon Discovery Day — The name of this day reminds me of Yukon Cornelius, from the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer claymation Christmas “cartoon”. He was awesome! He was the self-proclaimed “greatest prospector in the North”, always searching for silver and gold.
- 15 Relaxation Day — This is different from being lazy. Here, you’re resting and relaxing because you should. It’s important to have down-time for your body to recover from all the stuff you do. So relax, sit down a spell, and drink some tea.
- 16 National Tell a Joke Day — I’ve thought about becoming a stand-up comedian. It started when I was a kid, and I told my parents I wanted to be a comedian, and they just laughed at me.
- 16 International Homeless Animals Day — Did you know most animals are homeless? Well, not really, because they find or create homes, but I mean that most animals don’t live with humans. Besides, animals are naturally homeless.
- 16 Roller Coaster Day — On this day in 1898, the roller coaster was patented. The popularity of roller coasters has been going up and down since.
- 18 Bad Poetry Day — At first glance, this kind of holiday seems obscure and useless, but I know of a few people (who happen to be regular readers here) who seem to enjoy writing bad poetry. (That is, “bad” meaning poorly composed and consisting of mostly bad puns.)
- 19 National Potato Day — Some also call this French Fry Appreciation Day. Either way, it’s good stuff. Did you know that potatoes are actually vegetables? So I can’t say I dislike all vegetables. Taters are good in just about all forms: baked, mashed, smashed, and fried. (My brother used to say, “Everybody loves soft-fried taters.”) Just don’t make potato salad, which isn’t a food.
Once again, this list is getting long, so I’ll finish the rest of the month in the next post. Click here to find the other entries in this list.
Now we’ll look at the daily holidays / celebrations / observations in August:
- 1 National Raspberry Cream Pie Day — I’m not sure I’ve ever had one of these, but it sounds good.
- 1 Respect for Parents’ Day — This should be every day. I know, that saying may not be popular, but it is one of the Ten Commandments, so it should be taken seriously.
- 2 National Ice Cream Sandwich Day — This is a wonderful holiday! Ice cream sandwiches are scrumptious! I could eat these all the time…
- 2 National Mustard Day — Ugh! I can’t stand mustard! Even the smell is repulsive! Why is this a holiday? There isn’t a good use for mustard. All sandwiches and burgers should use Miracle Whip, never mustard.
- 3 Friendship Day — Be thankful for your close friends. They’re the ones who know just how weird and/or stupid you are sometimes, yet they like you anyway. 🙂
- 3 International Forgiveness Day (the first Sunday in August) — Hmm… Watch your step now, because even though this is a humor blog, I need to say something serious here. And you should really watch your toes on this one. If you don’t forgive others, God won’t forgive you. So know that it’s VERY important that you forgive everyone, whether they deserve it or not. (See Matthew 6:14-15)
- 3 National Watermelon Day — Watermelon, it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.
- 4 National Chocolate Chip Day — This is a great idea for a holiday! I shall celebrate with freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies! Mmm…
- 5 Work Like a Dog Day — I don’t currently own a dog, but I have in the past. Looking back, they slept a lot, and chased stuff when they weren’t sleeping. I can work that hard this day…
- 6 Wiggle Your Toes Day — Why is there a day for this? I don’t get it…
- 7 Sea Serpent Day — This must be for Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster. So many people have seen him/her/it, yet there is still no definitive proof. But in one of our infamous “free-for-all” stories, three explorers tackled the mystery of Nessie, and you can read it here. It’s a funny story, and you learn what Nessie is guarding in the loch. I guarantee you haven’t read a story quite like this one before.
- 7 Write a Song Day — Someone should write a song about how Buffet o’ Blog is the #1 humor blog on the Internet. If you do, I’ll even promote it here for free. 🙂
- 8 Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day — Uhh… Now that is random! Although, if you read the explanation for it, it actually makes sense. But sometimes it’s better for things to be random than logical. It’s like explaining a joke — it usually ceases to be funny if you have to explain it.
- 8 National Waffle Day — I can support this holiday. Give me plenty of syrup (like Aunt Jemima) and I’m good to go. While we’re talking about waffles, let me ask you this: are waffles better than pancakes? Well, look at it this way: waffles are like pancakes with built-in syrup holders.
- 9 Book Lover’s Day — I don’t know what is implied by “book lover”, but I enjoy reading books. You should, too. Consider books in this context: books are universities anyone can enter.
- 9 International Day of the World’s Indigenous People — I’m an indigenous people! I’m naturally occurring and living in this area of the world. I’ve lived in Arkansas my whole life. Well, actually I haven’t yet… but so far I have. 🙂
We have a lot more holidays to cover for this month, but because this is getting long and because some of my regular readers have pointed out how long each of these tend to be, I’m breaking it up into smaller servings, for your reading consumption convenience.
Click here to find the other entries in this list.
As we’ve done in previous months, we’re going to look at the special days and holidays of this month. As usual, this is not a complete list — those can be found elsewhere. But I guarantee you will not find another list like this one. This is not a mere list, because we add our own unique commentary and analysis. In other words, we try to make it more fun. And you are welcome to add to the discussion in the comments section.
Let’s get started with the month-long celebrations and observances in August:
- Family Fun Month — A good family outing is a vacation, but if that’s not feasible at this time, try playing the Nintendo Wii. 🙂 This is not a joke — everyone who has tried it has enjoyed it, no matter their age or prior video game experience.
- Admit You’re Happy Month — Go on, admit it! Although if you really aren’t happy, you should acknowledge that, and then do something about it. And fortunately, you’re at the right place. My personal research has shown that reading this blog will make you happier.
- National Catfish Month — Mmm… fried catfish…
- National Golf Month — The sport of golf requires skill and discipline, sure, but it’s boring to many people (myself included). That’s why I wrote a post about making golf less boring.
- Peach Month — The best way to enjoy peaches is in cobbler, with vanilla ice cream. Mmm…
- Romance Awareness Month — I’m aware of romance. So I’ve got this holiday covered already.
- Water Quality Month — This is the month when local water municipalities strive to provide quality water. Oh, wait, I hope they do that every month. So what is this observance for?
- National Picnic Month — Picnics can be a good time. They make a good diversion from work if you take one during lunch. Just make sure the weather cooperates. Ironically, this emphasis on picnics is in August, which is typically the hottest month of the year. That should not be.
- National Inventors Month — I’ve invented something before, so this is about me. 🙂
- American Artist Appreciation Month — I’m an artist! For real, check it out!
- Foot Health Month — If your feet aren’t healthy, you should stay off them more (i.e., stay in bed more, sit on the couch to watch TV and/or play video games more).
- Home Business Month — I have a home business. I wish this meant I would automatically make more money this month.
Now let’s look at the weekly events / celebrations / holidays in August:
- Week 1 : National Simplify your Life Week — This is actually a good idea. Slow down, relax, focus on your top priorities, and laugh more.
- Week 2 : National Smile Week — Smile! You’re on Candid Cookie! 🙂 Really, studies show that smiling and laughing are good for you, and can even add years to your life. (And of course, I have to plug my blog here, as its purpose is to make people happier.)
- Week 3 : Friendship Week — For this week only, I’ll be your friend. Let’s do lunch. Have your people contact my people…
- Week 3 : Air Conditioning Appreciation Week — This holiday is appropriately placed in August. I’m very appreciative of my air-conditioner! But, on the other hand, I just wrote an article on my other blog explaining why you don’t need air-conditioning. It’s true! Read it if you don’t believe me.
- Week 3 : American Dance Week — All you party people out there, GET YOUR GROOVE ON!
- Week 4 : Be Kind to Humankind Week — This is a good idea. We are all brothers and sisters, after all. (Well, I’m assuming all my readers are human. If you are a non-human species and can read this, please let me know via our contact form.)
This is getting quite long (as it usually does), so I’m going to break it up into several parts. Click here to search for the other entries for August.