Now we will conclude our look at the special days / celebrations / observances of May. (To see the previous entries, click here to search for them.)
- 16 Love a Tree Day — This seems absurd to me. I appreciate trees, but I don’t love them. But I reckon there are a number of tree-hugger type people out there…
- 16 National Bike to Work Day — This is a good idea. If only people would take gas-free transportation to work once in a while, then demand for gas / oil would go down. A one-day boycott of buying gas will not make any difference whatsoever to the “Big Oil” corporations if you still drive your vehicle. But using less gas, and therefore reducing their profits, they will notice.
- 17 Pack Rat Day — This must be for me! Actually, I’m not nearly as bad as I used to be, when my room would have piles of stuff in it…
- 18 No Dirty Dishes Day — To have no dirty dishes, you need to use no dishes. So either use paper plates or go out to eat.
- 20 Be a Millionaire Day — Where do I sign up?!? I’ll participate!
- 21 National Memo Day — This is when all your bosses make sure they tell you (again) to put cover pages on your TPS reports.
- 22 Buy a Musical Instrument Day — If you can’t play an instrument, you should learn — it’s a great hobby. If you have children, they should learn. It broadens the mind. And if no one in your household wants to play one, you can buy me one! 🙂
- 24 National Escargot Day — Escargot may sound like a fancy food, but it’s just snails. I’ll pass on this one…
- 26 Blueberry Cheesecake Day — Ah, a day to eat cheesecake!
- 26 Memorial Day — A day to remember… And there tends to be grilling, which is awesome!
- 29 ??? — My sources say there isn’t a special day on May 29, that it’s waiting to be claimed. So I claim it Buffet o’ Blog Day. On this day, people shall get off work, catch up on reading this awesome blog, and grill burgers, steaks, and hot dogs (or eat at pizza buffets if you’d prefer).
- 30 Water a Flower Day — Let’s hope it rains this day!
- 31 National Macaroon Day — A Macaroon is a flourless cookie, and it’s popular among the Jewish community, especially during Passover. I don’t know if I’ve ever had one, but it’s a cookie, so I’d try it.
- 31 Save Your Hearing Day — The world can be a loud places, from all the traffic and the whirring of computers and phones ringing. So for this unique holiday, you should stay home — in bed. Turn the phone off, and just sleep.
- 31 World No Tobacco Day — This one should be year-long. Tobacco is not something you should smoke or put in your mouth — it kills you.
That concludes the special days of May. I hope you found some that you could celebrate.
Thank you, drive thru…